List research by project.
- 2014. Movement Out of Focus. Massachusetts Institute of Technology dissertation.
- Erlewine and Kotek, to appear. “Focus association by movement: Evidence from Tanglewood.” In Linguistic Inquiry.
- To appear. “Vietnamese focus particles and derivation by phase.” In Journal of East Asian Linguistics.
- Accepted. “Clausal comparison without degree abstraction in Mandarin Chinese.” In Natural Language & Linguistic Theory. minor revisions pending.
- 2017. “Low sentence-final particles in Mandarin Chinese and the Final-over-Final Constraint.” In Journal of East Asian Linguistics 26, pages 37–75.
- Erlewine and Kotek, 2016. “A streamlined approach to online linguistic surveys.” In Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 34, pages 481–495. Tools available at turktools.net.
- 2016. “Anti-locality and optimality in Kaqchikel Agent Focus.” In Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 34, pages 429–479.
- Kotek and Erlewine, 2016. “Covert pied-piping in English multiple wh-questions.” In Linguistic Inquiry 47, pages 669–693.
- Erlewine and Kotek, 2016. “Even-NPIs in Dharamsala Tibetan.” In Linguistic Analysis 40, pages 129–165.
- Erlewine and Gould, 2016. “Unifying Japanese relative clauses: copy-chains and context-sensitivity.” In Glossa 1, pages 1–40.
- 2012. “Structurally distant haplology.” In Snippets 26, pages 7–8.
- 2016. “Review of Yosuke Sato Minimalist Interfaces: Evidence from Indonesian and Javanese.” In Oceanic Linguistics 55, pages 298–306.
- 2016. “Review of Yoad Winter Elements of Formal Semantics: An Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Meaning in Natural Language.” In Computational Linguistics 42, pages 837–839.
Papers in edited volumes
- Erlewine, Levin, and Van Urk, to appear. “Ergativity and Austronesian-type voice systems.” In Oxford Handbook of Ergativity, pages 373–396.
- 2017. “Why the null complementizer is special in complementizer-trace effects.” In A Pesky Set: Papers for David Pesetsky, pages 371–380.
- 2013. “Dissociating the syntax and morphological realization of Kaqchikel Agent Focus.” In Studies in Kaqchikel Grammar, pages 25–50.
- Erlewine and Kotek, to appear. “Focus association by movement: Evidence from binding and parasitic gaps.” In Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 21.
- Kotek and Erlewine, to appear. “Non-interrogative wh-constructions in Chuj (Mayan).” In Proceedings of the Workshop on the Structure and Constituency of the Languages of the Americas (WSCLA) 21.
- Mizuno and Erlewine, to appear. “Constraints on contrast sluicing.” In Japanese/Korean Linguistics 24.
- To appear. “Sentence-final particles at the vP phase edge.” In Proceedings of the 25th North American Conference of Chinese Linguistics (NACCL 25).
- To appear. “Subject marking on non-subjects in Squliq Atayal.” In Proceedings of the 20th meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA 20).
- Erlewine and Kotek, 2016. “Tanglewood untangled.” In Proceedings of SALT 26, pages 224–243.
- Erlewine and Kotek, 2016. “The structure and interpretation of non-restrictive relatives: Evidence from relative pronoun pied-piping.” In Proceedings of the 51st Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society (CLS 51), pages 149–163.
- Kotek and Erlewine, 2016. “Intervention effects in relative pronoun pied-piping: experimental evidence.” In Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 20, pages 448–461.
- 2016. “Focus association into copies and the scope of even.” In Proceedings of SALT 26, pages 855–873.
- Kotek and Erlewine, 2016. “Unifying definite and indefinite free relatives: Evidence from Mayan.” In Proceedings of NELS 46, pages 241–254.
- 2016. “Multiple extraction and voice in Toba Batak.” In AFLA 23: The Proceedings of the 23rd Meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association, pages 81–95.
- 水野 輝之、アーリーワイン マイケル芳貴 [Mizuno and Erlewine], 2016. “多重wh疑問文のペアリスト解釈とスルーシング [Sluicing and the pair-list interpretation of multiple wh-questions].” In 日本言語学会第152回大会予稿集 [Proceedings of the 152nd meeting of the Linguistic Society of Japan], pages 204–209.
- Erlewine, Levin, and Van Urk, 2015. “What makes a voice system? On the relationship between voice marking and case.” In AFLA 21: The Proceedings of the 21st Meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association, pages 51–68.
- 2015. “Minimality and focus-sensitive adverb placement.” In Proceedings of NELS 45, pages 193–202.
- Erlewine and Kotek, 2014. “Intervention in focus pied-piping.” In Proceedings of NELS 43, pages 117–130.
- 2014. “Alternative questions through focus alternatives in Mandarin Chinese.” In Proceedings of the 48th Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society (CLS 48), pages 221–234.
- Erlewine and Gould, 2014. “Interpreting Japanese Head-Internal Relative Clauses.” In Proceedings of the 31st West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 31), pages 160–169.
- 2014. “Anti-Locality and Kaqchikel Agent Focus.” In Proceedings of the 31st West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 31), pages 150–159.
- 2014. “Explaining leftward focus association with even but not only.” In Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 18, pages 128–145.
- 2012. “The effect of ‘only’ on quantifier scope: the dake blocking effect.” In Proceedings of the GLOW in Asia Workshop for Young Scholars, pages 72–86.
- 2012. “Share to Compare: the Mandarin bǐ Comparative.” In Proceedings of the 29th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 29), pages 54–62.
- 2010. “Sentence-final only and the interpretation of focus in Mandarin Chinese.” In The Proceedings of the 22nd North American Conference of Chinese Linguistics (NACCL 22) and the 18th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics (IACL 18), pages 18–35.
- 2009. “Ubiquity: Designing a Multilingual Natural Language Interface.” In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR 2009 Workshop on Information Access in a Multilingual World, pages 45–48.
- 2008. “The verbal nature of Mandarin comparative bǐ.” In Proceedings of the National Conference on Linguistics 2008. Linguistic Society of Taiwan.
- Edited by Erlewine, Michael Yoshitaka and Yasutada Sudo, 2014. Proceedings of the MIT Workshop on Comparatives. Cambridge: MIT Working Papers in Linguistics.
- 2007. “A New Syntax-Semantics for the Mandarin bǐ Comparative.” University of Chicago MA thesis.
- 2016. “Extraction and licensing in Toba Batak.” Manuscript, National University of Singapore.
- 2016. “Even doesn’t move but associates into traces: A reply to Nakanishi 2012.” Manuscript, National University of Singapore.
- Kotek and Erlewine, 2015. “Relative pronoun pied-piping in English non-restrictive relatives.” Manuscript, National University of Singapore and McGill University.
- 2015. “In defense of Closeness: focus-sensitive adverb placement in Vietnamese and Mandarin Chinese.” Manuscript, McGill University.
- Kotek and Erlewine, 2013. “Blocking effects in English causatives.” Manuscript, MIT.
- 2017. “C and T in Toba Batak.” Presented at LSA 2017.
- 2016. “Focus and minimality.” Presented at Macquarie University.
- Erlewine and Levin, 2017. “On the unavailability of argument ellipsis in Kaqchikel.” Presented at Form and Analysis in Mayan Linguistics 4, LSA 2017.
- 2016. “The locus of Mandarin sentence-final particles and the Final-over-Final Constraint.” Presented at the Workshop on Word Order of Heads, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 2016. “Encoding QUD congruence in Mandarin Chinese.” Presented at Theoretical Linguistics at Keio 2016.
- 2015. “Focus adverbs at the vP and higher edges.” Presented (most recently) at the University of Washington.
- 2015. “Restructuring and Agent Focus in Kaqchikel.” Paper presented at The Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas.
- Hisagi, Erlewine, Kato, Kotek, Sugawara, Yasunaga, Pantazis, Koizumi, and Miyagawa, 2014. “Exploring the Cross-linguistic Nature of Simple and Complex Words and Expressions in Human Language Through Event-Related Potentials.” Poster presented at Cognitive Neuroscience Society (CNS) 2014.
- 2011. “The Constituency of Hyperlinks in a Hypertext Corpus.” Presented at the International Society for the Linguistics of English (IsLE 2), Boston University.
- turktools: tools to simplify the development of experimental stimuli for running linguistic experiments on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Described in this paper.
- A universal natural language parser for Ubiquity, an experimental multilingual natural language interface, as described in this paper.
See other software.