- “Covert pied-piping in English multiple wh-questions,” with Hadas Kotek, has been accepted for publication in Linguistic Inquiry!
- New: “Explaining leftward focus association with even but not only,” to appear in Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 18.
- New: “Subject marking on non-subjects in Squliq Atayal,” to appear in Proceedings of the 20th Meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA 20).
- New: “Sentence-final particles at the vP phase edge,” to appear in Proceedings of the 25th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-25).
- Presented “Morphological blocking in English causatives” with Hadas Kotek at the 88th LSA meeting, January 2014. Manuscript available.
- March 18, 2014: CUNY syntax supper
- April 2014: “Exploring the Cross-linguistic Nature of Simple and Complex Words and Expressions in Human Language Through Event-Related Potentials” poster at Cognitive Neuroscience Society 2014, with Miwako Hisagi, Sachiko Kato, Hadas Kotek, Ayaka Sugawara, Daichi Yasunaga, Dimitrios Pantazis, Masatoshi Koizumi, and Shigeru Miyagawa.
- May 2014: “What makes a voice system? On the relationship between voice marking and case” with Ted Levin and Coppe van Urk, at Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association 21.
Areas of interest
- syntax and semantics of focus
- movement, quantification, and scope-taking
- morphosyntax and linearization
- comparative constructions
- internet corpora and experiments
In previous work I have worked on: Mandarin Chinese, English, Japanese, Kaqchikel (Mayan; Guatemala), Squliq Atayal (Austronesian; Taiwan).
- To appear: “Covert pied-piping in English multiple wh-questions” with Hadas Kotek. Accepted for publication in Linguistic Inquiry. See also the associated NELS 43 handout: “Diagnosing covert pied-piping”.
- To appear: “Explaining leftward focus association with even but not only.” Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 18.
- To appear: “Subject marking on non-subjects in Squliq Atayal.” Proceedings of the 20th Meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA 20).
- To appear: “Sentence-final particles at the vP phase edge.” Proceedings of the 25th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-25).
- Manuscript (currently revising): “Anti-locality and optimality in Kaqchikel Agent Focus”.
- Manuscript (currently revising): “Degree comparison without degree abstraction”.
- To appear: “Intervention in focus pied-piping” with Hadas Kotek. Proceedings of NELS 43. See also the handout from NELS 43.
- Manuscript: “A streamlined approach to online linguistic surveys” with Hadas Kotek, describing our free, open-source project turktools.
- To appear: “Anti-Locality and Agent Focus.” Proceedings of WCCFL 31. (Superseded by the manuscript, “Anti-locality and optimality in Kaqchikel Agent Focus.”) See also the handout and slides from WCCFL 31.
- To appear: “Interpreting Japanese Head-Internal Relative Clauses” with Isaac Gould. Proceedings of WCCFL 31.
- 2013: “Dissociating the syntax and morphological realization of Kaqchikel Agent Focus.” Studies in Kaqchikel Grammar, MIT Working Papers in Linguistics.
- To appear: “Alternative questions through focus alternatives in Mandarin Chinese.” Proceedings of Chicago Linguistic Society 48.
- 2012: “Structurally distant haplology” in Snippets 26.
- 2012: “The Effect of ‘Only’ on Quantifier Scope: the Dake Blocking Effect.” In Proceedings of the GLOW in Asia Workshop for Young Scholars, pages 72—86.
- 2012: “Share to Compare: the Mandarin bǐ Comparative.” In Proceedings of the 29th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 29), Cascadilla Press, pages 54—62.
- 2010: “Sentence-Final Only and the Interpretation of Focus in Mandarin Chinese.” In Proceedings of the 22nd North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-22) and the 18th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics (IACL-18), pages 18—35.
- 2009: “Ubiquity: Designing a Multilingual Natural Language Interface.” Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR 2009 Workshop on Information Access in a Multilingual World, pages 45—48.
- 2007: A New Syntax-Semantics for the Mandarin bi Comparative. University of Chicago Master’s thesis, May 2007.
Selected presentations (handouts, slides)
- “Association with traces and the copy theory of movement” (handout version), the 88th LSA meeting, January 2014. See my SuB proceedings paper for a paper version.
- “Morphological blocking in English causatives” with Hadas Kotek, the 88th LSA meeting, January 2014. Manuscript available.
- “Subject marking on non-subjects in Squliq Atayal,” the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA 20), May 2013. See the proceedings paper.
- “Locality restrictions on syntactic extraction: the case (but not Case) of Kaqchikel Agent Focus,” WCCFL 31: handout and slides. Manuscript available.
- “Japanese Head Internal Relative Clauses and Maximal Informativenes,” Tokyo Semantics Research Group (意味論研究会), Keio University, Tokyo, June 2012. See the WCCFL proceedings paper for a paper version.
- “The Constituency of Hyperlinks in a Hypertext Corpus”. The 2nd Triennial Meeting of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (IsLE 2), Boston University, June 2011.
- turktools: tools to simplify the development of experimental stimuli for running linguistic experiments on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Described in this paper.
- turkserver: host your Turk-style experiments on your own server.
- LingBuzz RSS feed
- Better Linguist List RSS feeds
- The Antisymmetrizer: an online tool which linearizes trees according to the Linear Correspondance Axiom (Kayne, 1994).
- A universal natural language parser for Ubiquity, an experimental multilingual natural language interface, as described in this paper and in more detail in various blog posts.